So as stated earlier, Ashley and I will be staying with some friends here for three months. We have a very pink room :), just off of the living room, and a very pink bathroom that is located outside. We arrived at their house this morning, where there was a man cutting coconuts and other fruits off the tree outside. As we unpacked our bags, our host mom began cooking lunch, which consisted of rice, daal, shredded coconut and chiles, and little fried fish. (yes...they fried the whole fish...eyes and everything). As we sat on the mat that our host dad laid on the floor for us, I asked if we were to eat the whole fish or if we were to pick it off the bone. As he chomped down on the whole thing, he said..."oh when it is fried you eat the whole fish. It's very good". So when in Rome...
However, this is not Rome, and we're in South Asia. Therefore, it's a good rule of thumb to always pray "Lord I will eat this food, if you keep it down" before every meal.
Another little freebie for you:
When at a South Asian's house, and they ask if you'd like to take a rest, it's really a hint that they're tired and would like a nap. :)
The rest of today will be spent shopping in the markets to get appropriate clothing for this area and helping with dinner. But as for right now, I think I'm going to "take a rest" for a little bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment