Saturday, May 21, 2011

Oh to be named Barnabas...

Ash and I going through a study of Paul's life and journey... (yeah, ya know...Paul.  One of the most famous radicals of all time in the New Testament).  For those of you who have never studied his story and journey, I truly recommend taking some time to do so.  However, a name that I never paid much attention to was Barnabas.  He's the guy that basically guides Paul in the beginning, and is super encouraging to not only him, but the early churches.  Barnabas' name actually means "son of encouragement".  Neat huh??  I would love to be like Barnabas.  Encouraging everyone that I come to meet.  Encouraging them in their walk with the Father.  

 Lately, it's been on my heart to encourage some friends we have made here, to tell their story.  They have incredible stories of how they have come to know our Father, but do not share this good news.  Some of their family thinks that they are still living a life in bondage to a different religion, and this couple is living in fear because they do not share with their family.  OUR story of how we have come to know our Lord and Savior can be one of most powerful things.  We are supposed to share it with others.  It's the best gift anyone can ever receive!  Reading in the word, you have example after example, of people's "stories".  The woman at the well, Paul, Zacchaeus, the demon possessed man, all of them were changed because of Jesus.  All of them went out after that and told others what they knew...THEIR STORY.  (The coolest part is what happened afterwards...many came to believe after they heard these peoples stories.) 

So here I am, encouraging the believers here to be sharing what the Lord has done in their lives, and I've realized that many of my friends and family back home might not know my "story".  Many of the believers here that I've met, ask about my story within the first ten minutes of meeting.  So, may my story be an encouragement to you.  Let me be a Barnabas to you today :)

I grew up blessed with a mom and dad who both loved the Lord and were followers of Jesus.  They would read bible stories with me, take me to church, and loved me and encouraged me as Godly parents should.  I knew right from wrong, and when I was very young I decided that I wanted to have the same friendship with Jesus that they had with Him.  I didn't fully understand this decision and didn't really have a personal relationship with Him until I was older.  Unfortunately, this decision came about after my mother was killed in a car accident.  I felt completely alone, angry, and hopeless.  I remember going to bed thinking that I never wanted to wake up, because of the pain and loneliness I was feeling.  A little while after, a friend began reading the word with me.  She began showing me through love and His word that Jesus came, and died for us, so that we would be able to know God.  I realized that Jesus is ALWAYS with us.  He is the supplier of our joy.  He is our Hope.  He is the Lord of my Life, not myself.  Yes, storms and rough times will come our way, even with Jesus, BUT when we have Him as our personal savior, we can make it through the storms.  I am encouraged friends...we serve a King who knows us in and out.  Never leaves us, and is worthy to be praised!  

No comments:

Post a Comment