As I sit across from my friend who is attempting to feed her baby, I'm in awe, once again of her hair. SL-ians have great hair, and this one friend in particular has perfect hair if you ask me. It's full, and dark, and has just the right amount of curl to it that it looks as if you've spent hours on it. She didn't.
"Eat baba, auntie will scold you if you don't eat", she tells her baby as he cries back at her, knocking food all down the front of her and into her gorgeous hair. She grimaces, wipes the food out of her hair and loosely rolls it up into a perfect bun on top of her head. I feel my hair starting to frizz in my ponytail, and push back a flyaway piece. Just as I am beginning to covet her locks...again..., she begins to tell me how she doesn't feel pretty. How she's tired all of the time from her "new little bundle of joy" and how he "troubles her. See? He won't eat and spits it on me". She's all of 100 lbs dripping wet, and bears a striking resemblance to Jessica Alba and looks great even with mashed up carrots in her hair. AKA I was having some trouble understanding how the heck she didn't see how beautiful she was. Sometimes I forget that even though my friends are from a different background and culture, they're still girls and have insecurities. We all do. For example, as I was oohing and ahhing over her "perfect skin" and "perfect hair" in my head, my thoughts were interrupted by the lies of "I'm not pretty" coming out of her mouth. However, it was same lies that were going through my head. I kept thinking how my hair was no where near as pretty, and what I would do to get beautiful skin like hers. (Ok, yes, this may seem insanely shallow to some of you, but I'm a girl and worry about these things sometimes). In that moment, I felt as if God was saying "Megan, do you see you how ridiculous she is for saying she's not pretty? Do you see how ridiculous YOU'RE being for wanting something different than I have given you? I have created you and find you beautiful." It's always humbling to get a good "God smack" across the face sometimes. It wakes you up and I'm so thankful to have those reminders from the most high God. I'm a girly girl and love my mascara but I know that that is not what makes me truly beautiful. I have the comfort and knowledge that there is a God who is so much bigger. He created me. He loves me. He desires the best for me and desires for me to bring my best to Him. So when you're having a not so perfect hair, or makeup, or weight, etc etc day...remember that God thinks you're rad. You're also not the only one thinking that you're the only one struggling with this. Sometimes I forget these things and need a reminder. Thank you Jesus for those reminders...
"Eat baba, auntie will scold you if you don't eat", she tells her baby as he cries back at her, knocking food all down the front of her and into her gorgeous hair. She grimaces, wipes the food out of her hair and loosely rolls it up into a perfect bun on top of her head. I feel my hair starting to frizz in my ponytail, and push back a flyaway piece. Just as I am beginning to covet her locks...again..., she begins to tell me how she doesn't feel pretty. How she's tired all of the time from her "new little bundle of joy" and how he "troubles her. See? He won't eat and spits it on me". She's all of 100 lbs dripping wet, and bears a striking resemblance to Jessica Alba and looks great even with mashed up carrots in her hair. AKA I was having some trouble understanding how the heck she didn't see how beautiful she was. Sometimes I forget that even though my friends are from a different background and culture, they're still girls and have insecurities. We all do. For example, as I was oohing and ahhing over her "perfect skin" and "perfect hair" in my head, my thoughts were interrupted by the lies of "I'm not pretty" coming out of her mouth. However, it was same lies that were going through my head. I kept thinking how my hair was no where near as pretty, and what I would do to get beautiful skin like hers. (Ok, yes, this may seem insanely shallow to some of you, but I'm a girl and worry about these things sometimes). In that moment, I felt as if God was saying "Megan, do you see you how ridiculous she is for saying she's not pretty? Do you see how ridiculous YOU'RE being for wanting something different than I have given you? I have created you and find you beautiful." It's always humbling to get a good "God smack" across the face sometimes. It wakes you up and I'm so thankful to have those reminders from the most high God. I'm a girly girl and love my mascara but I know that that is not what makes me truly beautiful. I have the comfort and knowledge that there is a God who is so much bigger. He created me. He loves me. He desires the best for me and desires for me to bring my best to Him. So when you're having a not so perfect hair, or makeup, or weight, etc etc day...remember that God thinks you're rad. You're also not the only one thinking that you're the only one struggling with this. Sometimes I forget these things and need a reminder. Thank you Jesus for those reminders...
No comments:
Post a Comment