Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mango friends and the East

This past weekend Ashley and I joined a close friend as she went back home to the east coast.  We were able to walk/tour the city, spend some time with her sweet family, talk with and encourage her youth group, and visit some friends.  As I've said before, trips to this part of the island are always tiring, but really great.

Since there's a lot less traffic on the east coast, the popular mode of transportation is the bike.  

Everything is so colorful!

Me and my mango friend!  (Mango friend is a term they use over here for very close friends...I love it!)

SL tourists coming to enjoy the beach

Yeah...this is real.  I couldn't stop staring at it.  

Since it's so hot, ice cream breaks are necessary.  haha ok so maybe not necessary but the heat is a good excuse to eat it.  This little treat is something that I've grown to love.  It's rose flavored jello (faluda) with mango and vanilla ice cream.  Call me crazy but it's tasty! 

Fishing is the way of life over here...

...aaaannnd dried fish is a popular dish.  Saying "dried fish is not my favorite", is a polite way of saying that it's absolutely disgusting.  

Little girls we told henna stories to. 


Visiting with this sweet family! 

It is evident that the Lord is moving all over the island in powerful ways.  We met people doing ministry in this part of the island, who are church planting in villages.  We met others who  are desiring to share with others.  We met with mus. friends who are searching and wanting to hear more.  With everything going on in the world involving our culture and mus. culture, it's easy for fear to creep in.  It's easy to have our mouths shut because I don't want to offend.  I ultimately desire for people to know truth.  I also serve a God who has not given me a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of boldness.  The enemy has won if we're sitting quiet and not guiding others towards truth.  Thank goodness that I serve the One who has given me the "gift of gab", as our friend says.  Things are shaking up over here and I'm excited to see what the last few months over here will hold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment