Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Being white in a South Asian country leads to interesting/funny conversations.  I thought I would share some of these, as they are quite funny.  (This is a time I wish you could hear the accent that accompanies these conversations).  

This scenario happens often...
Random shop owner:  "You are married no?"
Me: "No I'm not married"
RSO: "oooooohhhh you are not married? WHY?  You live here by your self?"
Me: "Yes"
RSO: "Where's your father?"
Me: "He's in America"
RSO: "Ooooohhhh AMERICA!  Nice Country, Obama!  I have cousin who went there.  You know?"

Some of our dear friends...gotta love them!
Fazna: "Ok, now that you are 24, when you get married?"
Me: *laugh* "Well I don't know..."
F: "Ok, but I know a nice boy, he was at my wedding."
Me: "Yes, but I would like a guy who loves Jes-"
F: "Yes yes, I know you want him to love Jesus.  But dont worry, this boy is black so it's ok"
Me:.......what???

When we tell people where we live in America: 
Me: "I'm from Virginia".
....blank stare...
Ash: "and I'm from Texas."
"oooooh TEXAS!  Cowboys! Pow Pow! Is Texas by Michigan?"

Looking different than everyone else around really confuses people and their first guess is never that we're American.  Here's the list we've gotten so far:
'Madam you are from..... 1. England?
                                        2. Germany?
                                        3. Australia?
                                        4. Russia?
                                        5. North or South America?  
                                        6. Pakistan?  

A normal text message from a friend...
"Hai Megn.  wht ar you doing dear where ar you now. did you eat lunch? ok yes you come anyday.  your wish. tell eshly hai.  ok dear bay"  

Our friend who's learning English...
"Ok are you angry?"
Me: "what? No no...I'm not angry?"
"you're not?  why?"
Me: "...what?  I dont understand...angry?? mad??"
"ohhhhh no no no...HUNGRY!  Are you hungry?"

I'm sure there will be more to come on this...Get excited
                                        





No comments:

Post a Comment