Monday, September 12, 2011

Home Sweet Home

It's been almost five months since Ashley and I came to sl.  Up until last week, suit cases still had items packed in them.  We kept saying phrases like "When we have a home we can do this and that..." God's timing is always perfect though....and things in South Asia are always "exciting".  It works out well.  :)

To make a semi confusing story short and to the point, Ashley and I were told that we had to pack our belongings and leave the guest house immediately because the police were coming to lock it up due to reasons dealing with the owner.  As Ashley and I explained to our tuk tuk driver that we needed to turn around, we both began to panic a little about how on earth we going to get everything packed up quickly. For our sanity we had tried our best to set up our rooms with a little bit more of our stuff that we had brought from home...aka this was not going to be a quick and easy pack job.  When all of our bags were finally packed and things were thrown into old grocery bags, we piled into the van of one of our team members and drove down the road.  That's when I began to wonder..."ooook.  Now what?"  No home, no idea where we're going to sleep tonight and everything I brought is now riding around in a van to an unknown destination.  (Not to mention the fact that I realized I had left an unopened Dr. Pepper in the fridge of the guest house that some friends had brought back from the states. *sigh*).

And here's where I tell you about God's timing and how awesome it is.  The day before this crazy event happend, one of the guys here on our team had just ended his lease at his apartment.  Our supervisor thought it might worth a shot for us to take a look at it and speak with the landlord about us moving in for a short while.  Well....You guessed it!  It was perfect.  We finally have a home to call ours, at least for a little while.

After a week of cleaning, scrubbing, unpacking, and organizing, it finally feels like a home.  It seems that it took forever to finally get to this point.  This past week Ash and I have been so excited about having a home, that I began thinking a lot about the word "home".  What exactly is a home?  What defines a home?  Living overseas makes you question and see things in a completely different way than you ever would before.  And with yesterday being the ten year anniversary of 9-11 and also the ten year anniversary of my mother's funeral, the idea of "home" has been very present.  A part of me misses being home in Northern VA during this time and being with family.  The other part of me remembers that four walls and roof do not make a home.  My home is ultimately in Christ.  So whether I'm missing my home in the US, moving into a new home, not having enough pillows and picture frames to decorate a home, or being asked to leave my home, I do not have to worry because my home is with Christ.    

No comments:

Post a Comment