Sorry for lack of posts lately. I really appreciate all of the prayers from everyone because of the last blog. This week has been a complete 180. God is so faithful and I'm thankful for those reminders. For the past couple of weeks, we've been in a rut with language learning, and for some reason, the light bulb just seemed to finally turn on this week. Everything from Tamil movies, to practicing at the fruit and veg. stands, to ordering in Tamil at a restaurant. (Random tidbit: They call restaurants "hotels" here. Why? I don't know).
One highlight from this week was going to a Tamil movie with one of our mus. friends. We wanted to go to semi practice language, but mainly because our friend's husband lives in Dubai and she used to see movies with him. However, since he lives over there, she hasn't been to one in over a year because she hasn't had anyone to go with. So we sat in a theatre for about 2ish hours and watched the drama unfold. :) And for those of you out there wondering what a Tamil movie is like, picture a soap opera with really bad acting and cheesiness, including VH1 music videos and there ya go. It was fun, and a nice break in the AC. :)
On the way home from the movie, we were sitting in the back of our tuk tuk, as our driver ran in and out of puddles and traffic. Our friend began telling us about Ramadan coming up. She began saying that our host family would be fasting during this time as well. As I tried to explain that no our host family wouldn't be participating in Ramadan because they were both followers of Jesus, she began to get confused. ("But Ishak and Farvina are mus. names" she kept saying....) And this is the part of the story that reminds me once again that our Father has a sense of humor. During our ride home, our tuk tuk driver had his ipod plugged in (pretty fancy right?!) and jam after jam came on...Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, and then the amazing Back Street Boys. It was a teeny-bopper's/ twenty-three year olds music haven. haha. Anyways at the same time as the sweet music line-up was playing, somehow (PTL) I began sharing how our host family had come to know Jesus and the truth, which led into more sharing of the gospel. Despite the fact that rain was coming in on both sides of our tuk tuk, there were horns and traffic going on, and "I want it that way" was blaring in our ears, I was amazed at the opportunity the Father presented to us. Again, not the way I would have planned on sharing with this friend, but thankfully I'm not in charge. (funny...perhaps this is a lesson that HE wants me to learn no?)
The ride ended with getting invited to come back in for tea which was a nice wrap up to an overall great day. This was something that Ash and I needed and it's exciting to see Him through the little things and that's what I'm trying to do right now. Attempting to cling to Him. HE is faithful my friends, oh so faithful.
No comments:
Post a Comment